12 family-friendly ways to usher in the New Year in style… (*updated for 2017-2018*)
1. Whether you plan to brave or escape the fireworks at midnight, the South Bank Centre’s Southbank Centre Winter Festival offers kids’ shows, outdoor market, rooftop sauna and more to put all the family in a festive mood.
2. Get your tongue stuck to the ice (kidding, don’t lick the ice) at the Magical Ice Kingdom in Hyde Park Winter Wonderland (until Jan 1)
3. Groove on at a silent disco in Greenwich at their Greenwich Winter Time festivities (until Dec 31)
4. If you haven’t seen it yet, treat your brood to a Furry Happy New Year with Paddington 2, out in UK cinemas.
5. Tuck into a family friendly Medieval Banquet at St Katharine Docks complete with jousting, jugglers and serving wenches!
6. Swing high above the city in the Emirates Air Line Cable Car and wave farewell to London 2017!
7. Shop for party trinkets against the backdrop of Tower of London and Tower Bridge at Christmas by the River at More London (until Jan 3)
8. Toast to 2018 with afternoon tea in a tropical oasis (add unlimited Prosecco for extra sparkle) at the Barbican Centre Conservatory (ongoing)
9. Ride on the Mince Pie Special on the Epping-Ongar Railway steam and diesel trains (from 10am Dec 31)
10. Follow an illuminated trail for Christmas at Kew gardens (until Jan 1)
11. Pop out for an afternoon/evening of pizza and ping pong at Bounce London (from £10, ongoing)
More Christmas and New Year’s Fun
31 Ideas for New Year’s Eve (with Kids) (updated for 2017)
Best Festive Family Theatre (many shows playing through January 2017)
Top 150 Family Films with lots of festive favourites!