Every year, I interview my sons on their birthdays, asking them the same questions I’ve asked since we started this tradition. Ezra is 14 today and I’m so glad he’s happy to answer these birthday questions, even though (as you’ll see in the interview) he’s way too cool for some other stuff he used to be into (sorry Pooh!). We both enjoy discovering what’s the same and what changes year after year. Football is still his jam. Yellow is still hanging in there as the colour he likes the most. Read on.
20 Birthday Questions for Ezra as he turns 14
1. What is your favourite colour? Yellow.
2. What is your favourite toy? I don’t play with toys. My favourite thing to play with is Xbox. And Jed.
3. What is your favourite fruit? Tangerine or apple, but it’s gotta be Pink Lady apples though.
4. What is your favourite film? I can’t decide, it’s a bit too many. My favourite one that I’ve watched recently was Soul Man (‘80s comedy starring Timothy Howell as a White student who pretends to be Black to get into college). I thought it was funny when he was really trying to act Black and also his surprise when he got pulled over for no reason.
5. What is your favourite thing to eat for lunch? I don’t know. Maybe a quesadilla.
6. What is your favourite outfit? Anything that looks good. I like t-shirts and jeans.
7. What is your favourite game? FIFA 20. And Untitled Goose Game, that’s some funny game.
8. What is your favourite snack? Milk and cookies.
9. What is your favourite animal? I don’t really have a favourite animal to be honest, let me not lie. (Mum: What about your godchildren?) Oh yeah, the bunnies, I like bunnies. And my great-godchildren. They were born like two weeks ago. (NB: he’s godfather to his friend Emerson’s bunnies)
10. What is your favourite song? Bit too many. Can I just say my favourite artist? I like Jay1, Dave, Stormzy, Skepta and Headie One, DigDat, ZieZie and Aitch… I’ll leave it there.
11. What is your favourite book? The one I’m reading at the moment is good, One of Us is Lying.
12. Who is your best friend? I have multiple. My closest two Gs are probably Emerson and Mehmet.
13. What is your favourite cereal? I rate Weetabix and I rate Crunchy Nut, let me not lie.
14. What is your favourite thing to do outside? Play football or just go out to eat.
15. What is your favourite drink? Probably Tango Orange, that is leng.
16. What is your favourite holiday? Summer holidays because it’s the longest.
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Nothing. (Mum: Aww, no Pooh Bear? Ezra: Mum, I’m 14 now. He’s still there, I just don’t sleep with him like that).
18. Who is your favourite footballer? Gabriel Martinelli
19. If you could have any 3 wishes granted, what would they be? a) World peace b) Equality c) More wishes
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? I have no idea.
Happy birthday, Ezra. It’s such a pleasure to spend time with you as you grow older, chatting, laughing, rap battling. You are such a kind, funny and centred young man and I can’t wait to see how you evolve in the year ahead. Love you always.
Do you want to ask your own child 20 birthday questions? Download this 20 Birthday Questions template or just create your own!