When I first stumbled across the idea of asking kids the same 20 Questions on their birthday, as featured on Reaves Party of 4 blog, I thought it was a brilliant idea. I also wished I’d started doing it 5 years earlier.
The basic premise: ask your child the same 20 questions on their birthday every year. If I do it for the next 10 years, Ezra will be university age (gasp) and it will be fascinating to see how his answers have changed – or what has remained the same over the decade.
The last time I did an interview with Ezra on the blog he was just 4 and I loved his answers to the somewhat random Q&A. Here I’ve taken the 20 Questions format and adapted it slightly to suit my own kids.
20 Questions for Ezra on his 9th Birthday
1. What is your favourite color? Yellow
2. What is your favourite toy? My wrestlers
3. What is your favourite fruit? Pink Lady apples
4. What is your favourite film? The Jungle Book or Bedtime Stories
5. What is your favourite thing to eat for lunch? Bacon sandwich
6. What is your favourite outfit? My Nike Air outfit that I wear with my Jordans
7. What is your favourite game? It and Bulldog
8. What is your favourite snack? Chomp bar
9. What is your favourite animal? Hamsters are really funny
10. What is your favourite song? Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson) & Uptown Funk (Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson)
11. What is your favourite book? The Harry Potter series so far
12. Who is your best friend? Phoenix and Dylan
13. What is your favourite cereal? Crunchy Nut
14. What is your favourite thing to do outside? Play football
15. What is your favourite drink? Tea. I really like it! (giggles at my expression)
16. What is your favourite holiday? Camp Bestival or Nigeria
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Pooh
18. Who is your favourite footballer? Pele or Alexis Sanchez
19. If you could have any 3 wishes granted, what would they be? To get football boots that aren’t even out yet like white Hypervenoms, that my brother would not always jump on me, and that I would get a whole load of video games, like 10!
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? Football player or Explorer.
Can you believe how the years are flying by? Here’s the post I wrote for Ezra on his 8th birthday.
Happy birthday to one of the coolest, quirkiest little guys “in the entire solar system” (one of the boys’ favourite phrases). The E in your name stands for ‘expressive’ in every part of your body and nature. It’s wonderful watching you grow and I look forward to seeing your 20 answers next year!
Do you want to ask your own child 20 questions on their birthday? Use this 20 Questions template or just create your own. You can also buy 20 Questions: The New Birthday Interview Book for Kids book here.