In this week’s guest spot we welcome the lovely Marianne of Mari’s World, mum of 4 and super vlogger, sharing her Italian mother-in-law’s delicious and very seasonal recipe for apple strudel:
I lived in Italy for about 20 years. I was married to an Italian who lived in the north in the most exquisite mountain village that was a ski resort by winter and a fresh summer pasture by summer.
I had a wonderful Italian mother in law brought up in a very humble family where the meals placed on the table were wholesome and made from the products they grew or that were easily accessible. She taught me many of her recipes but a favourite for this time of year is her Apple Strudel.
It’s slightly different to the traditional one as you can see by the way I roll it in the video but the ingredients are the same and the taste is divine. Also it is a quick and easy recipe to prepare just make sure you have some custard, cream or ice cream to serve it with.
Apple Strudel della Nonna Daria
1 packet of puff pastry (500g)
5 medium sized cooking apples
Juice of ½ lemon (optional)
¾ tbsps sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg beaten for brushing the pastry
Icing sugar to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 200C Gas 6
2. Butter a baking tray or line with baking paper
3. Peel and core the apples, chop into bite size chunks. Add lemon juice to stop discolouring if desired
4. Add the sugar and cinnamon to the apples and mix well, add raisins and mix again to distribute evenly throughout your mixture
5. Roll out your pastry to a large square the width to fit on your baking tray.
6. Spread the strudel mixture over evenly keeping 2 cms from the edges
7. Roll the pastry over itself until a long ‘sausage’ is obtained
8. Brush the egg mixture down the remaining flap and seal the strudel
9. Place the strudel on the baking tray and brush the egg mixture all over
10. Bake in the oven for about 20 mins checking to make sure it browns all over
11. Leave to cool for about 20 mins, dust with icing sugar and serve warm with ice cream, cream or custard
For a live demo of this recipe, check out Mari and her gorgeous twins, Alice and Bessie, in action on her You Tube channel.