‘Mum, can I interview you for your birthday this year?’ So every year I do a birthday Q&A with my boys, but for the first time ever, the little man has turned the tables on me.
It’s actually just as much fun being interviewed but you also feel under pressure with all those questions about your favourite this and that! Here’s my birthday interview, courtesy of Jed. When we wrapped up, Jed extended his hand: ‘That was nice to interview you. I’ll get back to you to let you know whether you got the job or not.’
Such a nut.
20 Questions for Uju on her birthday
1. What is your favourite colour?
Electric blue. I also like aquamarine and turquoise which is my birth colour.
2. What is your favourite toy?
My iPhone 10 or the Christmas reindeer that Ezra got me.
3. What is your favourite fruit?
Avocado or mango, but mangos in Nigeria. I don’t really buy them here, they don’t taste the same.
4. What is your favourite film?
My favourite one I’ve seen recently is Joker, because I love Joaquin Phoenix.
5. What is your favourite thing to eat for lunch?
A good bowl of Pho.
6. What is your favourite outfit?
I like sparkly things, so maybe my sparkly jacket from Boomtown festival and I guess people know me for my tiger hat.
7. What is your favourite game?
Whot. Because I played it endlessly when i was a kid and I’ve played it endlessly with my own kids.
8. What is your favourite snack?
Crunchie bars, popcorn, Pickled Onion Monster Munch and plantain chips.
9. What is your favourite animal?
10. What is your favourite song?
Oh my gosh, yet another impossible one. I’m gonna pick Adore by Prince.
11. What is your favourite book?
OMG how do I pick a favourite book? My brain is freezing! Beloved by Toni Morrison. A book called She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert.
12. Who is your best friend?
I have several. My first friend Nnenna, my girl China, I’d say my sister Nkiru is my best friend. And my hubby. (Jed: Your hubby?!). My husband.
13. What is your favourite cereal?
Granola and yoghurt.
14. What is your favourite thing to do outside?
15. What is your favourite drink?
16. What is your favourite holiday?
Antigua because I won it and also it was awesome.
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night?
18. Who is your favourite footballer (or celebrity/musician/artist)?
Ronaldinho in his prime.
19. If you could have any 3 wishes granted, what would they be?
a) To fulfil my wildest childhood dreams, which I’m not going to list here b) to see my kids fulfil their wildest childhood dreams c) for more peace and understanding around the world, for people to understand that we are all connected and we should treat each other better (Jed: I wish Donald Trump could read this. So there wouldn’t be World War 3).
20. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I’m already grownup, supposedly. (Jed: Well, not completely). I always wanted to be a writer. I also wanted to be a professional dancer. And I think when I grow up even more I’d love to be a DJ. Maybe in my 60’s.
Happy Birthday to the best Mum I could have asked for, and hopefully 2020 is the best year yet. Love, Jed.