Say hello to the newest teenager on the block. Our little boy turns 13 today and I’m feeling every emotion under the moon. Earlier today, his dad took him for his first trip to the barber shop and he came back looking like a proper young man.
Too fresh and too clean and just so grown.
I do miss his natural twists growing wild and free, but you have to admit he looks pretty damn sharp. Within a matter of hours, I’m going to be locked in an escape room with Ezra, his dad and 9 boys, desperately trying to figure our way out. Birthday party shenanigans. Wish us luck.
In the meantime, here’s his latest Birthday Interview. We’ve been doing these every year since he was 9, and he was laughing at how most of his answers used to involve stuff like ‘Ben 10’ and ‘Batman’. I’m not sure his tastes are any more sophisticated as a teen, and frankly, I’m glad that some things never change. Football still means the world to him. And Pooh Bear is still his G.
20 Questions for Ezra on his 13th Birthday
1. What is your favourite color? Yellow.
2. What is your favourite toy? X-Box.
3. What is your favourite fruit? Tangerine.
4. What is your favourite film? Spiderman – Into the Spider-Verse, because it was very different, animated and more enjoyable than most of the other films I watched.
5. What is your favourite thing to eat for lunch? I don’t know! At school, fish and chips. Actually no, chicken strips.
6. What is your favourite outfit? Tracksuit.
7. What is your favourite game? I don’t have it yet but I might be able to get it today if I have enough money from gift cards: Kingdom Hearts 3 (Jed: ‘I knew he was gonna say that. I’m psychic’). It has like characters from Square Soft like Sora and also Disney characters like Mickey and Goofy, Donald, Rapunzel, Toy Story etc.
8. What is your favourite snack? Monster Munch. Pickled Onion. 100%. (Mum: ‘My guy’).
9. What is your favourite animal? Pugs. I don’t know if they’re my favourite, but they’re the cutest.
10. What is your favourite song? Gun Lean by Russ. (he loves the shoulder dance.)
11. What is your favourite book? I like the book I’m reading now which is Bounce (by Matthew Syed). It gives you a bit more of a positive mindset, and a bit more insight that it’s not just about talent, it’s about hard work.
12. Who is your best friend? Don’t have one, I have multiple friends. Name a couple? Kalan and Joe.
13. What is your favourite cereal? Crunchy Nut.
14. What is your favourite thing to do outside? Play football. Pretty sure that’s the same every year.
15. What is your favourite drink? Vanilla milkshake.
16. What is your favourite holiday? Summer. It’s the longest. Duh.
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Books. And Pooh.
18. Who is your favourite footballer? Lacazette.
19. If you could have any 3 wishes granted, what would they be? a) World peace b) Less homelessness c) And three more wishes!
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? A footballer. If not, then a scientist.
Happy 13th birthday Ezra. We couldn’t be more proud of the strong, sensitive, smart (mouthed), and hilarious individual you’ve grown up to become. So much love to you, always, little man.
Do you want to ask your own child 20 questions on their birthday? Download this 20 Birthday Questions template or just create your own!
Or check out Reaves Party of Four’s 20 Questions: The New Birthday Interview Book for Kids